EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Thinking about running a D&D game using the Temple of Elemental Evil 3rd ed
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-12-2002 10:20:33 AM
If I were to buy the book for the Temple of Elemental Evil and run a campaign with that as the center of it (of course with other things and such. *grin* would anyone possibly be interested?

Fal

Faeth Es'Braewyn
No Breasts. :(
posted 04-12-2002 10:30:13 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Duck Tales:
If I were to buy the book for the Temple of Elemental Evil and run a campaign with that as the center of it (of course with other things and such. *grin* would anyone possibly be interested?

Fal

You gonna be running Table Top, Online Real Time, or Boards? I can't play, since I have my own to run. But have a suggestion for you if your doing Online Realtime. As when we first started I looked for solutions to using IRC. And there aren't very many. We use something called GRIP which is an EXCELENT tool. It has issues, as Im sure my players can attest too, but it beats the crap out of IRC, and has lots of cool features for the DM's AND the Players.
http://www.rpgrealms.com/GRIP/

Makes play a LOT easier to handle, and especially if you have Broadband, and can use the map functions and such to thier full extent.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Faeth Es'Braewyn ]

"Born of fire, forged with steel, I am the hunter that you know, but will never see..."
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-12-2002 10:41:56 AM
was gonna be an online real time. Message board would be a bit slow for me, and i dont have anyone to play with IRL.

Ill probably give GRIP a try, then.

Fal

Addy
posted 04-12-2002 10:44:02 AM
Check out my n00b response:

Wut is Temple of Elemental Evil?

Faeth Es'Braewyn
posted 04-12-2002 10:45:49 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
was gonna be an online real time. Message board would be a bit slow for me, and i dont have anyone to play with IRL.

Ill probably give GRIP a try, then.

Fal

Just try the trial for now, see if ya like it and can get used to it.. Learning curve isn't that tough, but it canget confusing. If you need help with anything, like Griplets, Playersheets, and such. Just lemme know. Since I already have some, in 3E Format.

I would play, but my story is too involved. Keeping up with everything they got going on is rough enough.. BUT, if I can find the time. I'd love to pop in. Even if just to observe.

You can only have a Max of 8 players in GRIP, though. Just as a warning. 9 Including yourself.

"Born of fire, forged with steel, I am the hunter that you know, but will never see..."
Rolin
Pancake
posted 04-12-2002 11:01:48 AM
Keep a careful eye on your work load when you decide to run a campaign. If you use a prefabricated module (is Temple of Elemental Evil a module?), it will take off some of the load, but even then you'll still have a lot to deal with. If you're not using a module, and the Temple of Elemental Evil is a world setting, you'll need to prepare a lot of the details, and be ready to flesh out new information on the spot once play start, because your players will ALWAYS think of something you don't.

With my current involvement (running my own and participating in Fae's), I don't have time to join another game. However, if you need a hand with something, or want to use any of the materials I've made available, then I'm glad to help however I can.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Murdoc [remote] ]

Rollin' rollin' rollin'
keep them doggies rollin'
boy my ass is swolen, rawhide!

The universe is obsolete.
Faeth Es'Braewyn
posted 04-12-2002 11:11:14 AM
quote:
Murdoc [remote] had this to say about Knight Rider:
Keep a careful eye on your work load when you decide to run a campaign. If you use a prefabricated module (is Temple of Elemental Evil a module?), it will take off some of the load, but even then you'll still have a lot to deal with. If you're not using a module, and the Temple of Elemental Evil is a world setting, you'll need to prepare a lot of the details, and be ready to flesh out new information on the spot once play start, because your players will ALWAYS think of something you don't.

This is, of course, half the fun. But yeah it's rough. And Aleria is pretty well fleshed out too boot, and it's still rough.

And Doc is 100% correct, expect the unexpected. My players are nuts! It's positively hilarious. And be prepared for some LONG nights.. I planned to get a LOT farther than we actually usually get. And you end up spliting the game. Granted the more involved they get, the better it is. But for instance, our last game ran 11 hours.. I think Im going to make 2AM a mandatory stopping point REGARDLESS of where we are, at this point. Cause that was rough.

Cap'n Elethi
I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt...
posted 04-12-2002 11:21:42 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr said this about your mom:

Fal

I'm in two campaigns at the moment, or at least I think I am anyways, heh. If it wasn't for that, I'de love to join. What level is the Temple of Elemental Evil anyways?

Elethi Rian, A Man Of Many Talents
Za’afiel
Coolest Hamster Pimp Ever!
posted 04-12-2002 11:48:34 AM
i wanna play... or somthing yea !

.... yaya... ooo i think i had too much caffine yayaya

and if you need help putting in more details for cities or NPCs just ask me i have tons of free time

just dont expect somnthing done overnight... i have a short attention span

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Anklebitur D'gnome ]

"Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-12-2002 11:54:24 AM
its 4-14, Elethi.

I would be fleshing out the rest of the world as best I can (my first time Id be trying to run a game.) and the rest of the world's purpose would be to get everyone ready for the temple

Fal

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-12-2002 01:40:15 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Adrecia:
Check out my n00b response:

Wut is Temple of Elemental Evil?

D&D module.

Its like a pre created dungeon and stuff with a backstory as to why its there, info on the monsters that are there, and lots more stuff.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 04-12-2002 01:46:12 PM
MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME

*INHALE*

MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Khyron ]

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-12-2002 01:54:04 PM
Khyron, if ya dont wanna play, just say so!

*chuckle*

Dr Cysa
Angsty Mcangst
posted 04-12-2002 01:58:02 PM
Temple of Evil 3rd sounds good, what classes/races will or won't be allowed(i.e. Psionics, Gensia)
I don't discriminate...I hate everyone.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-12-2002 03:02:40 PM
quote:
NecroPriest had this to say about pies:
Temple of Evil 3rd sounds good, what classes/races will or won't be allowed(i.e. Psionics, Gensia)

It would probably just be vanilla classes, but im considering implementing a couple of Murdoc's added races

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-12-2002 03:24:15 PM
If you wouldn't mind a total and complete n00b, I think I'd like to join in.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Cap'n Elethi
posted 04-12-2002 03:29:32 PM
No offense guys, but if you're a total noob to DnD, I wouldn't recommend the Temple of Elemental Evil as an introduction adventure or even anything close to it.

I don't know about the 3rd edition version, but the second addition one was brutal. Terrible traps, impossible encounters, and everything else you could imagine. We were a group af level 12-15, and we barely made it out (With a bunch of ressurections, of course. Losing CON sucks. But you don't do that in 3rd anymore, right?) Anyways, its a very tough adventure. Unless, of course, the DM is low key, or ressurections are easy to get.

Don't get me wrong, its a great adventure (Or the original was anyways), its just hard. Really hard.

Just a warning, heh.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Elethi ]

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-12-2002 03:33:27 PM
quote:
Elethi enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
stuff.

Challenges == gud?

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Cap'n Elethi
posted 04-12-2002 03:38:55 PM
quote:
Densetsu painfully thought these words up:
Challenges == gud?

The original was a great adventure. It was really tough, but it was a lot of fun.

Take your favorite teddy bear you've had since a kid or some such. Then imagine some sort of demonic creature ripping the stuffing out of him while roasting him over a fire and laughing at you.

Thats what it does to your characters, if you aren't prepared right.

But it's a blast. Keep in mind, this was the first one. I don't really know about the new one.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-12-2002 03:39:12 PM
quote:
NecroPriest had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Gensia)

Just cause they're my favorites and I have to nitpick: Genasai :P

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-12-2002 03:49:44 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Elethi:

Take your favorite teddy bear you've had since a kid or some such. Then imagine some sort of demonic creature ripping the stuffing out of him while roasting him over a fire and laughing at you.

His name was Humphrey, and when you pressed his heart, you could hear his heartbeat. I used to use him as a pillow and put my ear on his heart and it would sooth me to sleep. Then we moved and the box containing him and the rest of my mom's and my teddy bear collection fell off the truck onto the highway....

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Densetsu ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 04-12-2002 03:52:22 PM

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-12-2002 05:20:34 PM
hate to have to correct Lyinar, but it's Genasi. GEN-A-SI
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-12-2002 05:26:00 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael spewed forth this undeniable truth:
hate to have to correct Lyinar, but it's Genasi. GEN-A-SI
That's what I thought it was. Wasn't sure, since I don't use them.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-12-2002 06:26:52 PM
well, this one is designed for levels 4 to 14. im gonna plan an entire campaign around it, though...ill make it fun for ya'll, dont worry.

Will buy that book come next paycheck, and i think ill buy the forgotten realms campaign setting book. Maybe Magic of Faerun too

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 04-12-2002 06:28:10 PM
*looks up*

Well hell, damn my typing

I did put an extra "a" in there

I meant Genasi :P

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 04-12-2002 06:59:21 PM
Other Online Realtime options you may wanna try are DndOnline, nice program but some times the servers act like biotchs! Webrpg is nice, though you have to pay for it, 10 bucks for 3 months of use and sometimes the servers can be evil on it too. Also there is OpenRPG, alittle technical but allows you a wide range of stuff you can script and do for your game
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Faeth Es'Braewyn
posted 04-12-2002 10:40:15 PM
quote:
Katrinity had this to say about Pirotess:
Other Online Realtime options you may wanna try are DndOnline, nice program but some times the servers act like biotchs! Webrpg is nice, though you have to pay for it, 10 bucks for 3 months of use and sometimes the servers can be evil on it too. Also there is OpenRPG, alittle technical but allows you a wide range of stuff you can script and do for your game

These are some of the reasons I stayed away from these.

In GRIP I have complete control over my server, since it's run by me, and controlled by me, and a lot more functional in any case. Also more expensive though, at least up front. But it pays for itself over WebRPG.. And WebRPG was lookin so good too

They kinda just gave up o it and said, hell with it though.. *sighs

But yeah those are other alternatives. I just wouldn't buy into non self controled servers. But thats just me.

Malkav
C'mon, fear the fangs... plz
posted 04-12-2002 11:49:32 PM
I might be interested.

Genasi can have interesting issues in a campaign such as the unknowing player who makes a character a radiance genasi(Great elemental netbook, used it a few times) on ly to descover that everyone else is a drow and you are in the underdark and glowing, he was one of my shortest lived characters.

Silently, the unnamed Senshi drew a small jewel-hilted athame from some form of pocket-space, and lightly ran it across the back of her left hand. Good, she wasn't one of those fools that slashed their palm open whenever one of the various reasons to use blood arose. I did the same with my own vorpal-bladed athame. It was a much plainer affair than my counterpart's, but I bet hers couldn't call up a higher-level demon just by carving a smiley face in the ground.
-Ranma in Can it get any worse by Dark Phoenix
The Last Strider
I will die alone
posted 04-12-2002 11:53:17 PM
Ahem. What levels is the game for? I can whip up my pre-prepared character in no time, so just tell.
"We have listened to you speak since the dawn of time, and we have learned to imatoot you exarktly."-The Simpsons

Necromancer: How DARE you imply that I was involved in a rude act with my undead servant! I will flay the flesh from your bones! I will summon a thousand maggot-ridden corpses to gnaw your flesh! I will trap your soul in-
Ghoul: My ass hurts.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 04-12-2002 11:58:19 PM
My new (I'm a COMPLETE newbie) char is only level 1 =p

So I'd get stomped quicker then the French.

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Rolin
Pancake
posted 04-13-2002 06:21:42 AM
quote:
The Last Strider had this to say about pies:
Ahem. What levels is the game for? I can whip up my pre-prepared character in no time, so just tell.
Look up. It's mentioned several times, at least as far as a range goes. If you know what you're doing, you should be able to adjust your character to the appropriate level once Fal releases more details.
Rollin' rollin' rollin'
keep them doggies rollin'
boy my ass is swolen, rawhide!

The universe is obsolete.
Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 04-13-2002 08:32:57 AM
quote:
Faeth Es'Braewyn had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
And Doc is 100% correct, expect the unexpected. My players are nuts!

Yes. Yes we are.

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: